Beef jerky has become a very popular snack among athletes, hunters, campers, hikers, and parents. This delicious snack is filled with more nutritional value than you could imagine, which is why many health conscious individuals are grabbing for the jerky, when they begin to experience hunger cravings.
Breaking Down The Food Dehydrator
The food dehydrator is capable of desiccating (taking the moisture out of) a large variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, meats, yogurt, applesauce and etc. The evaporation process is completed, without altering the nutritional value, which is cannot be said about other meal preparation techniques such as cooking and baking.
- Built-in fan – All modern food dehydrators are equipped with a built-in fan, which is most often located on the interior upper panel or lid. This allows the airflow to disperse throughout the dehydrator, so all the foods dry out evenly and thoroughly.
- Adjustable thermostat – This feature plays a huge role in how each food is dehydrated. Without the proper temperature setting, the results will be over or under-dehydrated foods. The temperature normally ranges anywhere from 105-165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Hyperwave fluctuation technology – This phenomenal technology allows the dehydrator to operate efficiently, by keeping the food temperatures at a minimum, while the airflow temperature is at the maximum preset temperature level. This allows the food to dry without altering the enzymes. This innovative technology also prevents mold and yeast growth.
- Poly-screen tray – This tray is designed to allow the airflow to disperse evenly throughout the interior portion of the dehydrator. The air will circulate all around the foods, so they dry out evenly.
- Fruit roll sheets – These sheets are solid and utilized for prureed or semi-liquid foods such as yogurt, applesauce, or marinara.
- Drying power- A high-quality dehydrator will be able to produce around 700-1000 watts of drying power. The higher the wattage, the faster the foods will dehydrate.
- Exterior construction – The exterior portion of the dehydrator should be constructed out of materials that are capable of blocking harmful UV lights from coming into contact with your foods. UV light can damage the nutritional value, which would make the foods less healthy.
How To Make Beef Jerky At Home
Using a dehydrator at home will give you more healthy snack options for your children. Making beef jerky can never be easier than when using a food dehydrator. Jerky, whether it be made using ostrich, buffalo, turkey, deer, or beef is a delicious snack that has a high content of protein, which is important for human growth and maintenance. Protein can also help you lose weight, because it keeps the stomach feeling full for a longer period of time.
Jerky Marinade Recipe
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Pound lean eye of round beef
- 1 Onion
- 1 Teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 Cup soy sauce
- 1/2 Cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 Cup white vinegar
- 1/3 Cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons parsley flakes
- Garlic grinder
- Cutting board
- Butcher knife
- 1-2 Gallon zip lock bag
- 2-Half gallon canning jars
- Large glass bowl
First Step – Cut the beef (with the grain) into long 1/4-1/2″ thick strips
Second Step – Grind the garlic clove to a very fine consistency
Third Step – Dice the onion by hand or in a processor
Fourth Step – Place the beef in the bowl, add all of the other ingredients, and mix thoroughly
Fifth Step – Place all of the content into the zip lock bags and sit them in the refrigerator. Be sure to leave them there for 24-48 hours to allow the meat to cure.
Sixth Step – After the time has expired, you should remove the bags from the refrigerator and place them in the dehydrator trays, in a single layer (double layering can cause uneven drying)
Seventh Step – Set the temperature on 160 degrees Fahrenheit and the timer for 6-8 hours (the time will depend on the dehydrator wattage).
Eighth Step – Remove the jerky strips, place in the canning jars, and store until you are ready to enjoy
Fruit Roll Up Recipe
- 1/2 Cup cranberries
- 1/2 Cup blueberries
- 1/2 Cup raspberries
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup white sugar (can be substituted for honey, which is a healthier alternative)
- 2-3 Fruit roll sheets
- Cutting board
- 2 Half gallon canning jars
First Step – Wash all of the fruits thoroughly and cut away all leaves and stems
Second Step – Place all of the fruit, water, and honey or sugar in the blender
Third Step – Blend until the contents have a pureed consistency
Forth Step – Pour the pureed content onto the fruit roll trays and then sit them inside of the dehydrator tray
Fourth Step – Set the temperature setting on 130 degrees Fahrenheit and timer for 6-8 hours
Fifth Step – After the preset time has expired, you can go ahead, remove the fruit rolls from the tray, and place them on the cutting board
Sixth Step – Slice the rolls to the desired size, roll them up, and place them in the canning jars. Store away until you are ready to enjoy
When first learning how to use a dehydrator, you may need to do a bit of experimenting, before you can actually perfect your dehydrated foods. Of course, it is very difficult to ruin your foods, when using a dehydrator, because the instructions are pretty much self-explanatory.